I am very proud and steadfast about my art philosophy.
And I will not waver on this point… everything the children create at preschool is created by the child. They come up with the ideas and carry it out. Why do I love this? For many reasons…
- Each creation is totally unique
- The children develop a sense of pride
- There is no frustration that comes because of not doing it “right”
- The children develop skills with the materials
- The children have a sense of ownership over their art
I get so frustrated when I see adults showing children models of art and how it ought to look. I strongly dislike some of the cookie cutter art I see where everyone’s project looks almost the same because of trying to recreate the teacher’s idea of something beautiful.
Take a moment and admire the creations that young children are capable of when they are simply provided with the materials and the freedom to follow through with an idea…