Resolutions have never been a thing I’ve really believed in. The problem is that they’re too easy to break and the result is I finally end up feeling badly after I haven’t met the goals I’ve set out to achieve. So instead of resolutions, I give you my success stories of 2017…
- Joined Julie Hedlund’s 12×12 picture book challenge
- Posted 4 stories in the 12 by 12 forum, received feedback and revised.
- Joined my first ever online critique group. Love my new critique partners and hope we can keep it going into next year.
- Watched every 12×12 webinar at least once.
- Submitted short stories to three contests: Vivian Kirkfield’s 100 word story contest; A. LaFaye’s 50 word short story contest; and Susannah Leonard Hill’s 250 word holiday short story contest
- Won the 50 word story contest by A. LaFaye with my story Friendship Soup!! She sent me a hardcover copy of “I Want My Hat Back” by Jon Klassen.
- Participated in the summer reading challenge by Rena Traxel; read 43 new-to-me picture books during July and August.
- Self-published my first ever picture book: Katie Shaeffer Pancake Maker
- Revised several manuscripts this year. Revise. Revise. Revise.
- Wrote a total of ten picture book drafts this year.
- Did my first ever preschool visit as an author.
- Got Scrivener so that I can better organize my writing and start working on MG and early chapter books.
- Joined Tara Lazar’s Storystorm.
- Joined CANSCAIP (Canadian Society of Children’s Authors, Illustrators and Performers).
- Submitted an entry to SCBWI’s Work in Progress writing contest.
- Submitted picture book manuscripts to publishers and received two surprisingly kind rejections.
- Submitted entries to CANSCAIP’s writing for children competition.
What are your success stories of 2017? I encourage you to make a list. You may surprise yourself as I did!